first_imgEven though Nick did not win the gold medal that everyone in this area hoped he would, he did carry the American banner proudly.  The two athletes ahead of him were both Americans as well, and it will probably be the only event where this will happen.  For a 19-year old in his first Olympics, no one can be too disappointed.  I am sure with his personality he will do quite well in obtaining new and better endorsement deals which should allow him to complete again in four years.  The fall that occurred this year in one of his runs should serve him well when this opportunity comes around again.  Sometimes when everything goes too easy, an athlete gets too confident, doesn’t work as hard, and before he/she knows it the next set of athletes passes them by.  Nick will not let this happen!  Winter Olympics are not America’s strong point, so what he did accomplished is a plus for the American team–and for Southeastern Indiana!  It is a shame that families have to sacrifice so much, and unless you medal, there isn’t a lot of financial help at the end of the Olympic rainbow.last_img read more

first_imgAdvertisement bg83NBA Finals | Brooklyn VsaduisWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E5uf( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 6zkbfWould you ever consider trying this?😱qfn7kCan your students do this? 🌚646nuRoller skating! Powered by Firework During these unprecedented times, coronavirus has managed to overshadow everything. But amid this chaos, Indian archer couple Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das are trying to find bliss by tying the knot on June 30. Advertisement While weddings, especially Indian weddings are usually found out to be people buzzing and mayhem about. However, this time around, the wedding would be a bit unconventional as safety is elected to be the first priority over everything else.Advertisement According to a close acquaintance of Deepika Kumari, only sixty guests have been invited among which is the newly elected president of Archers Association of India (AAI) Arjun Munda who is also slated to perform the Kanyaadan ceremony as well.The invitation cards have reportedly been embedded with the rules regarding the social distancing norms and sanitization as well. The archer had earlier claimed that she would go at all lengths to ensure the safety of the guests as well as herself during the ceremony.Advertisement The guests have been invited at different time slots with the first batch requested to leave by 7 PM following which the second batch will arrive and leave after one and a half hours. Moreover, Deepika’s family members won’t be present during the reception in order to avoid crowding.The members present in the banquet hall would be required to wear a facemask and sanitize their hands as well.The couple who have a 2013 World Cup mix title in their bag, have been engaged since 2018. Deepika has been a prolific archer for the country after bagging a Commonwealth Games gold medal and is also a former No.1 rank holder. Meanwhile, Atanu Das was part of the team that secured a silver medal at the 2019 World Championships.The archer claimed that this decision was influenced by the pandemic. He said to The Telegraph:This was a sudden decision, a pandemic-induced one,”“Our original plan was to get married at the end of this year. The Olympics would have been over by then and both Deepika and I would have been relaxed.“However, all those plans have been hit for a six. The Olympics have been postponed to next year and we needed to modify our plans accordingly,” continued Atanu.“We wanted to make use of the time at our disposal now. Later, neither of us would want to give up on valuable practice time, nor sacrifice any tournaments. We don’t want any distractions from our target. So, taking everything into consideration, this is the best time to tie the knot,” the 28-year-old said.Read Also:Minister Kiren Rijiju gives update on Women’s U-17 WC to be hosted in India Advertisementlast_img read more

first_imgRED BANK – Red Bank RiverCenter’s 2013 Wedding Walk is being held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, March 23, throughout the borough.The one-day event will introduce prospective brides, grooms, wedding attendants and their families to Red Bank as the one-stop shopping destination for weddings.There will be more than 40 businesses and sponsors participating in categories including: floral design, wedding and party venues, formalwear, jewelers, photographers and videographers, salons/spas, music, shoes and accessories, transportation and other select wedding-related businesses, such as lingerie, wine purveyors and custom framers.Registration and check-in for brides will begin at 10 a.m. at The Oyster Point Hotel, 146 Bodman Place. All brides will receive a Wedding Walk map and tote bag. Participants will be directed to walk to the businesses or enjoy the transportation of choice including limousine, wedding trolley or shuttle to convenient central locations downtown so they may visit as many registered businesses as they can.Those who visit a minimum of 12 businesses may be entered to win a grand prize raffle along with other valuable prizes donated by the participants and sponsors. Prize drawings will take place at a reception at the Molly Pitcher Inn.All entry forms must be in by 4:15 p.m. and entrants must be present to win. The Wedding Walk will conclude by 5 p.m. There will be music, fun, food and lots of surprises.last_img read more

first_imgVarious St. Patrick Day Parades are happening in the upcoming weeks.On Sunday, March 13, Rumson holds its Fourth Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, beginning at 1 p.m. at Allen Street and River Road. It continues for 1 mile and ends at Carton Street and Forrest Avenue.On Sunday, March 13, Asbury Park is holding its third annual parade. The parade starts at 1 p.m. at the Boardwalk and 4th Avenue, then travels toward the downtown and Main Street. The parade is family friendly and also welcomes dogs. The parade has more than 65 entries – marching units, bands, floats and other attractions.On Saturday, March 19, the Highlands Business Partnership holds the 14th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade. The parade begins at 2 p.m. at Huddy Park on Bay Avenue.last_img read more

first_imgBy Liz SheehanSEA BRIGHT – Citing the concerns of residents about the cost of replacing facilities lost in Super Storm Sandy and the existing Borough Hall, the Borough Council at its meeting on Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution that if the bond issue on the Sept. 27 referendum to finance the proposal passes, the town will “immediately engage a review architect to assess the current plans for the facilities and make recommendations for cost savings and economies.”The resolution also said that the mayor and council will establish a “not to exceed” amount to be spent on the proposed facilities that would be based on what the review architect recommends and “continued input from the Mayor, Council and professional staff.”The resolution said that “after a number of public meetings, the Mayor and Council have heard and considered the valid concerns regarding the cost of the proposed facilities and wish to acknowledge those concerns.”Last month, residents packed the former gym in the Borough Hall for a meeting that lasted almost four hours to argue both for and against the bond issue, which is part of a package that includes insurance payments and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funds that will pay to replace the firehouse, police headquarters and library that were destroyed in Sandy and the existing Borough Hall, which borough officials say should also be replaced.At that meeting Councilman John Lamia, Jr., who voted against the bond issues, said “the cap was too high” and before approving a project you “first figure how much money you have.”But Councilman Charles Rooney, III, said the plan was a chance to make history in the town. He reminded the crowd that four years ago after Sandy, residents had met at the Rumson-Fair Haven High School “trying to figure out when we were going to come home.”The bond issue was approved by the council in June with Lamia and Jack Keeler, who also said the cost was too high, voting against it.A referendum on the bonds was required because a petition was signed by more than 15 percent of the registered voters who had voted in the last election in which candidates for the state Assembly were on the ballot.There will be three questions on the referendum ballot, although only two buildings will be constructed.One building will replace the library and beach building and the other will be a municipal complex for the fire house, police department/first aid and borough administrative functions and records.The maximum to be bonded as listed on the ballot is $5,761,750, with $1,486,750 to be paid for from the beach facility funds, and the rest by taxes.In a previous meeting, Councilman Brian Kelly said that the repayment of the bonds would amount to a tax increase of around a two cents per hundred dollar valuation to residents, after factoring in revenues from the new metered parking in town and the savings from not having to pay for rented space.last_img read more

first_imgBranislav Ivanovic scored a potentially crucial away goal for Chelsea to put them ahead in the Champions League round-of-16 first leg in Paris. The defender continued his remarkable knack of scoring important goals when he headed home following John Terry’s ball in from the left.It came slightly against the run of play, with Thibaut Courtois, back in the Chelsea side, having kept out three headers – two of them from Edinson Cavani – during a bright start by Paris St-Germain.Courtois dived to his right to save Blaise Matuidi’s powerful header after Cavani had lifted the ball into the penalty area.Cavani then headed straight at the Blues keeper after Matuidi turned provider, drifting out to the left and serving up an excellent cross towards the PSG striker.And Courtois was called into action again on 34 minutes, this time to deal with Cavani’s near-post header from Ezequiel Lavezzi’s right-wing corner.Three minutes later Chelsea were ahead. Cahill flicked on Terry’s cross with the outside of his right boot and Ivanovic was well placed to score his fifth goal of the season – and his first in Europe since his winner in the 2013 Europa League Final.As well as Courtois and Cahill, Diego Costa and the fit-again Cesc Fabregas are back in the Chelsea starting line-up.David Luiz is playing for the home side, featuring in midfield for the first time since joining them from Chelsea last year. Chelsea Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Ramires, Matic; Willian, Fabregas, Hazard; Costa. Subs: Cech, Filipe Luis, Zouma, Oscar, Cuadrado, Drogba, Remy. Paris St-Germain: Sirigu; Van der Wiel, Silva, Marquinhos, Maxwell; David Luiz, Verratti, Matuidi; Lavezzi, Ibrahimovic, Cavani..Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

first_img20 August 2012President Jacob Zuma has appointed an inter-ministerial committee on the Marikana tragedy, to be led by Minister in the Presidency for Performance Monitoring and Evaluation, Collins Chabane.The committee will coordinate and lead all support for the families and relatives of those killed during last week’s violence in Marikana, the Presidency said on Monday. This will include the identification of family members, counselling and burials.The committee was expected to hold its first meeting and visit to Marikana on Monday.Forty-four people, including two police officers and 34 mine workers, were killed and scores injured in violent clashes in the mining town of Marikana outside Rustenburg, North West province last week.Zuma has declared this week a period of mourning for those killed. From Monday to Sunday, flags will fly at half-mast at all flag stations in South Africa and missions outside the country. On Thursday, memorial services will be held across the country to mourn and promote a violence-free society.Zuma has also called on faith-based organisations to work with the government to assist the affected families.The inter-ministerial committee will include North West Premier Thandi Modise and a raft of Cabinet ministers: Susan Shabangu (mineral resources), Nathi Mthethwa (police), Bathabile Dlamini (social development), Richard Baloyi (cooperative governance and traditional affairs), Mildred Oliphant (labour), Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula (defence and military veterans), Aaron Motsoaledi (health), Siyabonga Cwele (state security) and Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma (home affairs).Lonmin to pay for children’s educationMeanwhile, mining company Lonmin has committed to providing funding for the education of the children of all employees who lost their lives during last week’s tragedy.“This funding will cover education costs from primary school to university,” the company announced on Friday.Lonmin chief financial officer Simon Scott express the company’s “sincere condolences to the families and friends of all those employees who have lost their lives, not only in the events of Thursday but also in the days leading up to it, and of course to the families and colleagues of the two South African Police Service officers who died trying to protect others.“We are committed to supporting all the families that lost loved ones during this tragic week,” Scott said in a statement.“We have established a help desk at Lonmin’s Andrew Saffy Hospital which will help families with the identification of bodies, assist with all the burial arrangements and offer bereavement counseling.”Source: SANews.gov.zalast_img read more

first_imgRead Next Much like every team in the league, the Cavs are known to hit a wall at some point in the lengthy regular season. However, their apparent struggles seem to have come much earlier than usual.Lue also bemoaned the team’s poor transition defense, and attributed it to the lack of effort.“Teams just look faster than we do at every position,” Lue said. “They’re running fast, they’re spreading, they’re pushing the ball up the floor. It’s like we can’t keep up.”Meanwhile, it is worth noting that the Cavs’ lineup is far from a hundred percent, with key addition Isaiah Thomas expected to be out until the All-Star break with a hip injury.The team also added several new faces to its roster, which still needs some more time to coexist on the floor.  Khristian Ibarrola /raADVERTISEMENT CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue answers questions during a press conference introducing Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder and Ante Zizic at Cleveland Clinic Courts on Sept. 7, 2017, in Independence, Ohio.  Jason Miller/Getty Images/AFPLeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers have dominated the NBA Eastern Conference since his return to “The Land” in 2014. But so far in seven games in the 2017-2018 NBA regular season, the perennial powerhouse has gotten off to an underwhelming start.After starting the season at a 3-1 win/loss mark, the Cavs dropped its last three games, punctuated by blowout losses to the New Orleans Pelicans and the New York Knicks.ADVERTISEMENT READ: Cousins’ triple-double powers Pelicans past CavsPrior to that, the team lost a close game against the Brooklyn Nets—another non-playoff team from last season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSpeaking to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin shortly after the loss to the Knicks, Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue made his displeasure known.“Tonight’s loss and the last couple are unacceptable, and the only way we’re going to be able to get out of it is to put the work in—as players, as coaches,” he said. “And we’re going to do that. … When you lose to teams the way we’ve been getting beat, it’s unacceptable.” Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games RSA reminds Ginebra to stay humble after back-to-back PBA titles QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohortcenter_img MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

first_imgArrion Springs makes a big interception against Arizona State.Twitter/@EvanWebeck Those who stayed up until almost 3:00 a.m. on the East Coast were rewarded by some crazy Pac-12 football. Oregon and Arizona State went to three overtimes, and were just a few yards away from making it four, when Oregon’s Arrion Springs picked off Mike Bercovici in the end zone to capture a 61-55 road win.Berco picked in the end zone. Oregon wins 61-55. pic.twitter.com/jmQFNWHqFj— Fabian Ardaya (@fardaya15) October 30, 2015INTERCEPTION. OREGON WINS! pic.twitter.com/FgmwwkgU0w— Evan Webeck (@EvanWebeck) October 30, 2015The two teams combined for 116 points, 1,242 yards, and dozens of huge plays. While the two defenses were largely absent on Thursday night into Friday morning, it was the cornerback Springs who wound up with the game’s biggest play.last_img read more