first_imgCalled ‘Apple Festive’, the event will feature limited vendors offering apple growers, farmers, and cideries the opportunity to showcase their harvest to the community. ITHACA (WBNG) — While the Downtown Ithaca Alliance cancelled this year’s Apple Harvest Festival back in June, they’ll be holding a condensed version of the event this week. Things kick off Monday at noon on the Ithaca Commons, with events continuing through next Saturday.last_img

first_imgWe continue to monitor a tropical disturbance located in the Southern Gulf of Mexico. This is approximately 900 miles to the WSW of West Palm Beach. The system is currently stationary. Although showers and storms have flared up during the day, the center remains stretched out and elongated.There remains a 60% chance for the system to become the next tropical depression or Tropical Storm Barry within the next 5 days. 8AM Tropical Weather outlook: The Hurricane Center now says the disturbance in the SW Gulf of Mexico has a 40% chance of cyclone development (Medium Potential). Regardless of development, this system will likely bring heavy rain to E. Mexico, Texas and the SE. @CBSMiami #CBS4 pic.twitter.com/1cRWAqTa0S— Lissette Gonzalez (@LissetteCBS4) June 4, 2019 Computer models move the system along the Northeast Mexico and Texas coast through the mid to late week. Locally heavy rainfall and gusty winds are likely in those areas. Good Monday! We’re still monitoring that Gulf of Mexico tropical disturbance. I’ve got the latest spaghetti plots. Also, a look at our heat and rain chances through the week into next weekend. Let me know your thoughts & questions! Plz share. @cbs12 pic.twitter.com/n47jYfV1qM— Michael Ehrenberg (@MichaelCBS12) June 3, 2019last_img read more

first_imgBy Liz SheehanSEA BRIGHT – Citing the concerns of residents about the cost of replacing facilities lost in Super Storm Sandy and the existing Borough Hall, the Borough Council at its meeting on Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution that if the bond issue on the Sept. 27 referendum to finance the proposal passes, the town will “immediately engage a review architect to assess the current plans for the facilities and make recommendations for cost savings and economies.”The resolution also said that the mayor and council will establish a “not to exceed” amount to be spent on the proposed facilities that would be based on what the review architect recommends and “continued input from the Mayor, Council and professional staff.”The resolution said that “after a number of public meetings, the Mayor and Council have heard and considered the valid concerns regarding the cost of the proposed facilities and wish to acknowledge those concerns.”Last month, residents packed the former gym in the Borough Hall for a meeting that lasted almost four hours to argue both for and against the bond issue, which is part of a package that includes insurance payments and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) funds that will pay to replace the firehouse, police headquarters and library that were destroyed in Sandy and the existing Borough Hall, which borough officials say should also be replaced.At that meeting Councilman John Lamia, Jr., who voted against the bond issues, said “the cap was too high” and before approving a project you “first figure how much money you have.”But Councilman Charles Rooney, III, said the plan was a chance to make history in the town. He reminded the crowd that four years ago after Sandy, residents had met at the Rumson-Fair Haven High School “trying to figure out when we were going to come home.”The bond issue was approved by the council in June with Lamia and Jack Keeler, who also said the cost was too high, voting against it.A referendum on the bonds was required because a petition was signed by more than 15 percent of the registered voters who had voted in the last election in which candidates for the state Assembly were on the ballot.There will be three questions on the referendum ballot, although only two buildings will be constructed.One building will replace the library and beach building and the other will be a municipal complex for the fire house, police department/first aid and borough administrative functions and records.The maximum to be bonded as listed on the ballot is $5,761,750, with $1,486,750 to be paid for from the beach facility funds, and the rest by taxes.In a previous meeting, Councilman Brian Kelly said that the repayment of the bonds would amount to a tax increase of around a two cents per hundred dollar valuation to residents, after factoring in revenues from the new metered parking in town and the savings from not having to pay for rented space.last_img read more

first_img9 May 2012 Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe opened the 7th South Africa-Germany Bi-National Commission in Berlin on Tuesday by extending an invitation to the European nation to invest in South Africa’s massive state-led infrastructure drive. “We are targeting a range of areas, including roads, rail, ports, water infrastructure and telecommunications,” Motlanthe said in his opening remarks at commission. “To this end, we wish to invite the government of Germany and German corporates to participate in this important initiative.” Motlanthe said that, while the commission was sitting during a challenging time for Europe and the global economy, the two countries should not lose sight of the goals they had in common. “Both our countries share the goals of enhancing peace and security; good governance; the rule of law; democracy and human rights; economic development; and indeed, dealing with the challenges posed by climate change, as well as finding new sources of energy.” To address these challenges, constant monitoring and detailed analysis so as to find practical solutions was required, Motlanthe said. The economic crises in Europe and other parts of the world had had a ripple effect around the globe, the Deputy President said, resulting in a significant decline in South Africa’s exports between 2008 and 2009. “However, we are pleased that our trade with Germany is approximating levels previously reached before the crisis of 2008.” Tuesday’s meeting discussed issues such as renewable energy and education and training, and assessed progress made since the last Bi-National Commission, held in South Africa in 2010. The meeting also touched on global issues such as the Eurozone and problems facing the African continent, including the African Union’s post-conflict and reconstruction development programme. Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

first_imgArrion Springs makes a big interception against Arizona State.Twitter/@EvanWebeck Those who stayed up until almost 3:00 a.m. on the East Coast were rewarded by some crazy Pac-12 football. Oregon and Arizona State went to three overtimes, and were just a few yards away from making it four, when Oregon’s Arrion Springs picked off Mike Bercovici in the end zone to capture a 61-55 road win.Berco picked in the end zone. Oregon wins 61-55. pic.twitter.com/jmQFNWHqFj— Fabian Ardaya (@fardaya15) October 30, 2015INTERCEPTION. OREGON WINS! pic.twitter.com/FgmwwkgU0w— Evan Webeck (@EvanWebeck) October 30, 2015The two teams combined for 116 points, 1,242 yards, and dozens of huge plays. While the two defenses were largely absent on Thursday night into Friday morning, it was the cornerback Springs who wound up with the game’s biggest play.last_img read more

first_img The British Minister of State for the Caribbean, Commonwealth and the United Nations, Rt. Hon. Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, on Friday (November 10), toured the Kingston High School, where he observed the Men With a Message initiative of the Citizen Security and Justice Programme (CSJP III) engage students with behavioural and attitudinal issues.The visit was an opportunity for the Minister to observe the operation and effectiveness of the CSJP, which is partially funded by the United Kingdom government, through its Department for International Development (DFID).“We have been supporting this programme for a number of years and I don’t want to just read a briefing about it or hear from the Director who is involved in it. That’s what brought me to the school to see how [the programme] is delivered and the impact it makes…and that allows us to plan more effectively in terms of how we look at funding [and] how we look at support,” Lord Ahmad told JIS News.He hailed the programme, noting that it “underlines the hope one can bring in changing people’s lives.” He further praised the Men With a Message initiative, for bringing together a team of inspirational men who impact the life choices of youngsters.Addressing a group of students following a presentation by a Men With a Message volunteer, he urged them to focus on education and the opportunities it can provide.“You must work hard, use the opportunity, it’s an incredible fortune. The more education you get, no one and nothing can take that from you. And it’s programmes like [the CSJP] which allow you to become leaders of your own country,” he said.The Minister sat with the team from Men With a Message for a conversation on what has led them to be a part of the programme, as well with a group of students who spoke with him about their ambitions and school life.“I have seen some inspirational children, in terms of their ambition and the motivation they get…notwithstanding the challenges they have, there is great hope and aspiration,” he said in an interview with JIS News following the tour.“I think ultimately when we talk about education, yes, it’s about learning Maths, English and others, but it’s also about people and how you learn from each other and influence others. It’s been an influential visit and it leaves me thinking that the future of Jamaica, in what is a very challenging area, is one which is very bright,” Lord Ahmad added.Programme Manager, CSJP III, Simeon Robinson, expressed gratitude for the Minister’s visit and is hopeful that the programme will continue to have a strong, positive relationship with the UK Government and DFID.“We are happy that he has taken the time to see what it is we are doing. The British people and the Government are contributing to the effort that we are undertaking here, so we are very welcoming of the visit to validate the things we are doing,” he said.Principal of Kingston High School, Andrea Gray-Dwyer, said the staff and students were elated to host the Minister and the CSJP, with which they have collaborated on a number of projects.She anticipates that the visit will lead to deeper cooperation with the programme, in order to better cater to the needs of students, many of whom are vulnerable youth from inner-city communities.Minister Ahmad was joined on the tour by British High Commissioner to Jamaica, His Excellency Asif Ahmad, as well as Director, Americas Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Carol Owens.He was on a two-day visit to the island, starting November 9, during which he called on the Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Hon. Kamina Johnson-Smith.The CSJP III is a multi-faceted crime and violence prevention initiative of the Ministry of National Security, which focuses on building community safety and security. The programme provides crime and violence prevention services to 50 vulnerable and volatile communities, spanning eight parishes.In addition to DFID, it also receives funding from the Government of Jamaica, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB); and the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development of Canada (DFATD). Story Highlights He hailed the programme, noting that it “underlines the hope one can bring in changing people’s lives.” He further praised the Men With a Message initiative, for bringing together a team of inspirational men who impact the life choices of youngsters. The British Minister of State for the Caribbean, Commonwealth and the United Nations, Rt. Hon. Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, on Friday (November 10), toured the Kingston High School, where he observed the Men With a Message initiative of the Citizen Security and Justice Programme (CSJP III) engage students with behavioural and attitudinal issues. The CSJP III is a multi-faceted crime and violence prevention initiative of the Ministry of National Security, which focuses on building community safety and security. The programme provides crime and violence prevention services to 50 vulnerable and volatile communities, spanning eight parishes. last_img read more

first_imgOTTAWA — A parliamentary committee will grapple this afternoon with the consequences of a major data breach at Desjardins Group.The breach, revealed in June, affected roughly 2.7 million people and 173,000 businesses.Desjardins Group said names, addresses, birthdates, social-insurance numbers and other private information was leaked.The Quebec-based financial institution said a single employee, who has been fired since the breach was detected in December 2018, was responsible.Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has called for the committee to examine whether issuing new social-insurance numbers to Desjardins members could protect them from identity theft and further privacy violations.In addition to the committee’s study, privacy commissioners in Ottawa and Quebec will be working in tandem to investigate the issue and determine whether Desjardins had adequate data-protection policies in place.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

first_imgFor Bryan Robson, the French international can become of the English Premier League greats if he can continue with his current formFrench forward Anthony Martial started playing with Manchester United in 2015, after spending two years in the Ligue 1 with Monaco.Since then, he has scored 28 goals in 93 matches.And for the Red Devil’s legend Bryan Robson, the French striker can beDaniel Fark, Norwich City, Premier LeagueDaniel Farke, From mid-table in the Championship to the Premier League Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Norwich City manager, Daniel Farke, has taken his team from the middle of the table in the English Championship to play with the big boys in the Premier League.“For me, over the last month we’ve seen the real Martial, where you expect him to be because he’s got so much talent”, he told the club’s official website.“He’s had a terrific month and hopefully he can continue that all the way through the season now.”“Mentally, Martial just needs to get that little bit stronger to make sure he can do it week in, week out and not just have a good period for one month, then dip in form for a couple of months and then come back to form,” he concluded.last_img read more

first_imgWayne Rooney has revealed his final days at Manchester United were embarrassing.The Manchester United all-time top scorer insists his failure to start the club’s league cup final against Southampton and the UEFA Europa League final against Ajax convinced him his time at the club was over.Despite having a bit-part role in manager Jose Mourinho’s squad, the former England international remained the captain as well as a living icon during his final season at Old Trafford.However, his reduced status in the dressing room meant Rooney was ’embarrassed’ to lift both trophies.Rooney told Sky Sports: “I came on for one minute in the Europa League final. I was about to come on against Southampton in the League Cup final, and in those moments it was embarrassing.“It was getting to a point where I was embarrassed. I thought “I can’t keep doing this”, as hard as it was to leave United.”Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“In the Southampton game, [manager Jose] Mourinho came to me and said: ‘I want you to lift the trophy.’ I was like: “Well, I didn’t even play in the game.’”“He was persistent with it, and I literally lifted it and moved it on. What was I doing? I need to move on and go somewhere else.”Rooney called time on his United career in the summer of 2017, joining his boyhood club Everton with Romelu Lukaku moving in the other direction in a separate deal.However, his time at Goodison Park would be equally difficult and he made the move to the MLS this summer.He enjoyed an impressive campaign in the United States and his family have flourished in their new environment.last_img read more

first_imgAC Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso believes Gonzalo Higuain has ended a barren run of goals in their 2-1 win over SPAL something he attributed to a mental block.The visitors took an early lead via Andrea Petagna before Gattuso’s men rescued the game thanks to Samu Castillejo and Higuain who completed the comeback.“I liked the team’s performance a great deal, both technically and tactically. I liked the mentality of the side, that knew how to suffer,” the Coach told Football Italia.“We could’ve killed it off earlier and must continue to improve. We’ve had to deal with all sorts of things this year. Now we go to Doha without Suso for the Italian Super Cup, one of our most important players, but I don’t want any alibis.Cristiano Ronaldo, JuventusSerie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“We had two big games in December that we didn’t make the most of, but we’ve just got to lick our wounds and keep going.”Perhaps even more important than the victory was Higuain breaking his two-month goal drought.“He lives for the goal, has always been a marksman and therefore really struggled to deal with this negative period. The defeat to Juventus, with the penalty and red card, was a terrible blow for him.“Higuain needs to rediscover that consistency and precision in his finishing, because he has always had those elements. We’ve missed him and hope this has also broken through that mental block.”last_img read more