first_img January 28, 2021 Find out more News Organisation News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists April 17, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Shooting of leading journalist linked to coverage of security agencies PakistanAsia – Pacific RSF_en to go further April 21, 2021 Find out more Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfirecenter_img Receive email alerts June 2, 2021 Find out more News Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Reporters Without Borders is appalled by the shooting attack on leading journalist Hamid Mir, the host of Geo TV’s political talk show “Capital Talk,” as he was driving to his office shortly after landing at Karachi airport on 19 April.The local police said four individuals on motorcycles opened fire on Mir’s car hitting him in the stomach and legs. He was rushed to a local hospital for an emergency operation and his life is reportedly no longer in danger. His assailants have not been arrested.Mir had told Reporters Without Borders on 7 April that Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan’s leading intelligence agency, was “conspiring (…) to cause me harm.” After the shooting, his brother, Amir Mir, told Geo News: “Mir had previously told us that if he is attacked, the ISI, and its chief, Lt. Gen. Zaheerul Islam, will be responsible.” “Although shocking, this attack unfortunately comes as no surprise,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific desk. “Hamid Mir has been the constant target of press freedom’s enemies, starting with the Taliban and the intelligence agencies.“We take note of the prime minister’s decision to create a special commission of enquiry, but we point out that this is not an end in itself. The government must be ready to take concrete action on the basis of the commission of enquiry’s findings.”Mir has been the target of various threats for the past two years. His investigative reporting on the intelligence agencies has been extremely sensitive. A court in Quetta, in the southwestern province of Balochistan, issued a warrant for his arrest on 7 April following an article about enforced disappearances blamed on the ISI.The case may have been the reason for attacks on Mir, who said he knew that someone could target him. There are parallels with Mir’s appearance for a hearing in Quetta in September 2012, when he was the target of an attack and was saved by a police officer who was murdered shortly thereafter. According to Mir, a judge who refused to issue a warrant for his arrest was also murdered.A bomb was found under his car (and defused before it could explode) in November 2012, shortly after he expressed strong criticism of the Taliban shooting attack on schoolgirl activist Malala Yousafzai.Pakistan is ranked 158th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. With seven journalists murdered in 2013, it is also one of the world’s deadliest countries for media personnel. News Follow the news on Pakistan Help by sharing this information PakistanAsia – Pacific last_img read more

first_img TAGScommunituCoronavirusCovid 19healthNews RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Advertisement COUNTY Limerick domestic abuse support services have added their voices to a major new TV, Radio and Social Media advertising campaign to tackle the serious issue of domestic violence. The campaign seeks to reassure victims that services are ‘still here’, and that victims are being prioritised during the COVID-19 emergency.Denise Dunne, spokesperson for Adapt Services Limerick, a Safe Ireland frontline member service, said:Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We welcome the timely, new Government awareness and information campaign on domestic violence, called Still Here. The most important message is that we are open and working to help protect women and children here in (county) Covid-19 brings challenges but we are re-configuring and finding new, creative ways to help keep women safe.”“During Covid-19 we are being reminded that we are all in this together. The response to domestic violence can be no different. This campaign is also asking people to be vigilant, to keep in touch with friends and family, to be aware that homes may not be safe, and to be a voice in looking for support at a time when a survivor not be able to use hers because of being isolated or controlled with an abuser.”The new ads were developed by the Department of Justice and Equality who collaborated with frontline services.The powerful ads depict the reality for victims of domestic abuse when their home is no longer a safe place.  One of the radio ads (link at note to editors – for use if required) depicts a mother trying to reassure her child that their effort to hide from their abuser is just a game of ‘Hide and Seek’ while the other features a male victim trying to communicate his plight to the emergency services.  The TV ad meanwhile portrays a woman’s attempt to keep in contact with her friend through a video call being interrupted by her abusive partner.Speaking about the campaign, Minister for Justice and Equality Charlie Flanagan said:“We would all like if these scenarios were fictitious or exaggerated but sadly, they aren’t. They conjure up a strong sense of the victims feeling trapped. The very place we have all been sent for safety because of COVID-19 – ‘home’ – is anything but safe for some people, and these ads recognise that. However It is vital that victims realise that services are still there and the law is on their side.’The ads carry the message to victims that services are still available despite the COVID-19 emergency.  However Minister of State David Stanton made the point that they can also fulfil another function:“I hope these ads will serve as a reminder to those of us who do feel safe at home to check in on any friends or relations who we have even the smallest worry about.  We need to tell them that we are still here for them.”Minister Flanagan continued:“I also want to say, unequivocally, to all abusers that the rigors of the law are also ‘still here’.  There is nowhere for perpetrators to hide. Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has made the point on a number of occasions recently that Gardaí are prioritising domestic abuse.  The same is the case for the entire civil and criminal justice system. We stand together with our NGO partners in our support for victims of domestic and sexual violence during this difficult period.’The Department has provided an additional allocation of over €196,000 to community and voluntary groups to support their work and is also funding the making and airing of the ad.Information on services and supports for victims is available on a new website www.stillhere.ie Twitter NewsCommunityHealthLimerick domestic abuse supports still in place despite COVID-19By Staff Reporter – April 20, 2020 120 WhatsApp Print Institute of Public Health addresses loneliness as a challenge to national health in light of Covid-19 restrictions Covid antibody testing opens to public at Shannon Airport center_img Previous articleWATCH: Knockfierna beat Gerald Griffins to Claim West Junior TitleNext articleNew Limerick initiative ‘Lean on Me’ to help customers support their favourite local businesses Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Linkedin Government announces phased easing of public health restrictions Facebook Email Limerick health chiefs urge public not to withhold information on virus contacts, as they investigate “complex and serious outbreaks” across midwest region Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Mass COVID testing to take place at University of Limerick following fresh outbreak of virus among student populationlast_img read more