first_img…will settle for severance if no improvementCane harvesters who previously worked with the defunct Rose Hall Estate and are now attached to the Blairmont Estate have downed tools for the past two days.They are demanding a pre-arranged pay rate for the short cane they are being ordered to cut. The workers have since accused management of discriminating against them, and have threatened to request severance payment if working conditions are not improved.Upon closure of the Rose Hall Estate 15 months ago, 120 of the workers were retained and sent to the Blairmont Estate. To date, only 76 of them remain on the job. The workers from 6P Gang say they are being treated unfairly.On Wednesday, they claimed that the cane they are asked to harvest is thin and short, and as such, they cannot get the weight they should get. In light of this, they are demanding compensation with respect to obstacles in the field.They are requesting that the compensation bring them to the equivalent of 2.5 tonnes per worker, since the cane they are required to harvest cannot give them that.Union reps and workersOne of the workers, Kurt Kaiyub, told Guyana Times that they were given a larger portion of work to complete on Monday, but they have since refused to do it.“The amount of cane we have to cut, we will not make the tonnage per man as we cater we should make. The previous week we worked six days, and none of the workers make fifteen tonnes,” he explained.Management has not given in to the workers’ request and has suggested alternative work. However, the workers are arguing that the alternative work is unreasonable, and they cannot complete the required task, hence they will earn less.A group of workers refusing to workThe workers have taken their concerns to the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) and the Regional Representative, Harvey Tambron.In an invited comment, Tambron told this publication that the issue is not new. “The workers are demanding that there be adequate transportation from where they are being picked up to the work site and back home. This should be efficient, efficient in the sense that it must not be any less favourable than when they were working at Rose Hall.”Meanwhile, workers walked out of a meeting between them and the management of Blairmont after management refused to provide transportation for those workers who have to cross the Berbice River Bridge. In fact, according to the workers, when they boarded the lorry which took them to work, they were taken to Blairmont, and made to wait for several hours.“There is no proper treatment there for us. All we are receiving every morning is pressure, but we bear it up to work for our family. It now get overbearing. Yesterday [Wednesday] we had an issue in there… we deserve more payment for the cane because it is short; it is about four feet tall,” one worker explained while noting that the issue was communicated to the Foreman.They were then told that the Estate has a policy of not paying extra for obstacles in the fields. The workers then asked for transportation to take them home, but were put on a lorry which did not move until after several hours.“Are they trying to frustrate us to leave the work? If that is it, please, I want my severance”, one worker stated. Other workers also called for severance pay.A meeting is expected to be held with the workers today at the Union’s New Amsterdam office.last_img read more

first_imgUp to €500,000 may have already been spent on road projects in Donegal that may never now go ahead.The money has already been spent on a host of scheduled services including surveys, compulsory purchase of lands, mapping, engineering reports and environmental impact studies.However many of the roads including the upgrading of the Letterkenny to LIfford Road, the upgrading of the Mountcharles to Inver Road as well as the Ballybofey by-pass may never now happen. The decision follows Transport Minister Leo Varadkar’s decision to ‘suspend’ many major road projects across Donegal.Independent Deputy Thomas Pringle said the Minister’s decision is short-sighted and did not take into account the dire need for an upgrading of the infrastructure network across Donegal.He said he doubted if Minister Varadkar even stopped to think about how much money has already been spent getting many roads ready for vital upgrading.“The sad reality is that we have already spent a small fortune getting these roads ready as they were given the green light. “It’s hard to put a figure on all the preparatory work but surveying lands, engineering reports and all associated works do not come cheap.“And now with the stroke of a pen the Minister has wiped all that work out.“He needs to have a serious rethink about his decision and the impact it will have on the people of Donegal,” he said.Deputy Pringle’s comments were echoed by a number of other political representatives following Minister Varadkar’s shock announcement.Deputy Charlie McConalogue, MEP Pat The Cope Gallagher, Deputy Pearse Doherty and Senator Brian O’Domhnaill all united to condemn the Minister’s actions. Government plan to abandon several major road projects in Donegal has come as a major blow to the county, according to Mr Gallagher.He has written to the Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar today following media reports that the Minister has instructed the National Roads Authority to suspend all of the National and Secondary Roads projects in Co Donegal.The Fianna Fáil MEP commented: “I have written to Minister Varadkar to express my anger at his short-sighted decision to shelve all of the new road projects in Co Donegal, even the low cost projects.  While I understand the constraints on the public finances, it is extremely disappointing that the Minister appears to have made a sweeping decision not to retain the funding for at least some of these crucial road works.“This blatant Government u-turn has a more serious impact on Donegal than many other parts of the country. We are the furthest county from the capital. We have the highest road mileage in the country and our local road network is most in need of continued development. While we have an excellent air service from Donegal to Dublin, improved road access to the airport from other parts of Donegal is extremely important if the airport is to be developed to its full potential. “The previous Government committed to these particular projects during a time of economic difficulty, realising the enormous economic and social benefits to Donegal. But it now appears that this Government is willing to scrap the progress made.  I am appealing to Minister Varadkar to reconsider this decision and allow some projects to proceed after consultation with the council and public representatives.“I have also respectfully suggested to the Minister that he immediately visit the county in order to fully understand the implications of this move and to meet with local representatives to discuss the matter in detail.”EndsALMOST €500,000 SPENT GETTING DONEGAL ROADS READY FOR UPGRADING THAT MAY NEVER HAPPEN was last modified: August 10th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalMinister Varadkarroad upgradesThomas Pringlelast_img read more

first_imgBithiri Sathi and Savitri on TV show TeenmaarScreenshot of V6 News Telugu’s YouTube videoJyothi, who is popularly known as Savitri, is said to have quit hit TV show Teenmaar to take part in Akkineni Nagarjuna’s Bigg Boss Telugu 3. Bithiri Sathi is shocked to learn about her decision.Jyothi and Chevella Ravi rose to fame with their stint as a news presenter Savitri and reporter Bithiri Sathi, respectively, on TV show Teenmaar. Sathi was recently seen judging TV show Joolakataka along with Udayabhanu. Now, Savitri is rumoured to be entering Bigg Boss Telugu 3 as a contestant.Bigg Boss Telugu 3 is set to go on air from July 21 and the makers are yet to announce the names of participants of the show. Rumour-mongers have named several celebs as the contestants of the reality TV show and Savitri is one among them. The speculations doing the rounds after she quit TV show Teenmaar.Talking about her decision, Bithiri Sathi said that it was a big surprise for him as well as the owners of the TV channel, which airs Teenmaar. “It was very shocking but it can happen any day. All we can do now is wish her the best for her future endeavours,” Ravi recently told the Times of India.Bithiri Sathi said that he does not have any official confirmation on Savitri entering Bigg Boss Telugu 3, “I was aware of the speculations too. But I never believed in them. I don’t know if these speculations are true too. But again, who doesn’t want to see a popular face like Savitri on a show like Bigg Boss?” he added.When asked about Jyothi’s chances of success in Bigg Boss Telugu 3, Bithiri Sathi said, “Keeping success and failure aside, she is a good human being and I’m sure people will also get to know the same through Bigg Boss. She will be her charming self in the show as well.”last_img read more

first_img Share Red, White and Blue show hosts examine the state of school safety in Texas. Discussion topics include violence prevention in regard to spotting mental-health “red flags,” gun safety laws, school security, and more. With guests Haley Carter, Chair of the Mayor’s Commission Against Gun Violence; Texas State Senator Larry Taylor (District 11); and Paul Cordova, Houston Independent School District Chief of Police. Original air date: September 14, 2018.Watch more episodes of Red White and Bluelast_img read more

first_imgKolkata: The state government has set up a committee to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.The committee was formed on April 18. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is the chairperson of the 46-member committee. The state government has taken a set of decisions in the first meeting of the committee, that was held on Monday.Members of the committee, including MPs Sudip Banerjee and Subrata Bakshi, minister of state for Health Chandrima Bhattacharya and Chief Secretary Malay De were present in the meeting, headed by the Chief Minister. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsVice-chancellors of Calcutta University, Rabindra Bharati University, Presidency University and Jadavpur University were also present in the meeting. There would be a permanent chair in the name of Gandhiji in Calcutta University. The university would take the final decision in this connection soon.De said: “There is a Gandhi Bhavan at Beliaghata. Though at present it is maintained by the state Public Works Department (PWD), steps have been taken to completely take over the structure. Proper renovation of the structure will be undertaken, maintaining the heritage of the building. It will be done following discussions among committee members.” Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedHe further said: “This year on October 2, a programme will be organised at Gandhi Bhavan.” The state government will plan the detailed programme accordingly. Some decisions regarding the celebration, have been taken. Based on the philosophy of Gandhiji, elocution and essay competitions will be held in schools, colleges and other educational institutions. The step has been taken to spread the messages of Gandhiji among people, the youth in particular. A booklet named as “Father of the Nation”, containing speeches of Gandhiji on different issues including communal harmony, national integration and patriotism, will be published on his birthday on October 2.”Since East Midnapore has a rich history of the freedom movement, the state government is looking into the formalities to name the university there on Gandhiji,” he said, adding that at the same time, the universities in the state will also organise programmes to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.Presidency University has a centre on Gandhian awareness, where they will organise seminars and symposiums in this regard.last_img read more

first_img Share MISSISSAUGA — TICO has charged Derrell Caprietta with one count of operating as a travel agent without being registered, contrary to the Travel Industry Act, 2002.Caprietta operated in Toronto. His first court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 4, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. at 60 Queen St., Toronto.TICO administers the Travel Industry Act, 2002 and the Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund. It can be contacted at (905) 624-6241 or 1-888-451-TICO, or via email at tico@tico.ca. Wednesday, September 12, 2018 Toronto ‘agent’ charged with operating without registration Tags: OTICF, TICOcenter_img Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >> Posted bylast_img read more

first_imgTags: Sunwing, Wedding Vacations TORONTO — The latest edition of Sunwing’s popular Wedding Vacations magazine is now available in travel agencies across the country.Providing couples with destination wedding inspiration ideas together with details on all the latest resorts and wedding package options, the magazine also features a number of offers and perks for wedding groups.Couples who book their destination wedding before Dec. 10, 2019 for travel between June 1 and Dec. 10, 2020 will receive a $500 future travel voucher when they book a minimum of ten rooms and a 10% discount on wedding planning services.Additional perks include complimentary access to Plaza Premium airport lounges, located in airports across Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vancouver, as well as free excess baggage allowance and a Wedding Couple Attire Care Program.The wedding couple and their guests can also benefit from instant group savings of up to $400 per couple. Wedding groups that book during this promotion can take advantage of complimentary upgrades to Elite Plus on Sunwing Airlines and private transfers to their selected resort.More news:  Direct Travel names Smith as Senior VP, Leisure Marketing, North AmericaSunwing is offering additional savings at an array of its top-rated resorts. Groups that book their destination wedding at Royalton Suites Cancun, Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Costa Rica or CHIC Punta Cana before Aug. 31, 2019, can get an exclusive offer where the sixth adult travels free on departures between Nov. 1, 2019 to Nov. 30, 2020.At Hard Rock Hotel, groups can look forward to complimentary travel for the 11 passenger with unlimited concessions when they book their vacation by Aug. 30 for travel between Nov. 1, 2019 and Dec. 22, 2020.With another idea option for wedding groups, RIU Hotels and Resorts, the eighth adult travels free on bookings made by Jan. 21, 2020 for travel between Nov. 1, 2019 and April 30, 2020.See SunwingAgents.ca for more details. Thursday, July 25, 2019 Share Posted bycenter_img Generous group perks as Sunwing launches Wedding Vacations winter edition << Previous PostNext Post >> Travelweek Group last_img read more