first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Suarez agrees Atletico terms Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 Netherlands coach Ronald Koeman was admitted to hospital with a heart problem on Sunday, the daily De Telegraaf reported on its website.The 57-year-old was taken from his home by ambulance but after surgical intervention was in a stable condition, his wife Bartina told the newspaper. Koeman has been the Dutch coach for just over two years and helped the country to qualify for Euro 2020, which has been postponed to next year due to the coronavirus pandemic.The former international defender, who as a player won the European Cup with both PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona, managed Everton before he took charge of his native country’s national team.Tags: CoronavirusDe TelegrafNetherlandsPSV Eindhovenronald koemanlast_img read more

first_img Van Gaal and Valdes share a long history, but the Dutchman has been ruthless with the goalkeeper because he claims he refused to play in United’s second string sometime last season. When asked why Valdes had been left out of the squad for United’s pre-season tour of the United States, Van Gaal said: “He is not selected because he does not follow our philosophy. “When that is the case, there is not a place for a player. “Last season, he refused to play in the second team and there are other aspects you need as a keeper at United. “When you are not willing to follow those principles, there is only one way and that is out.” Valdes played under Van Gaal during the Dutchman’s two spells at Barcelona. The United boss handed him his Barca debut in 2002 and the Spaniard cited the presence of Van Gaal as one of the main reasons why he decided to join United in January. But Valdes only played twice for the Red Devils last season – against Arsenal and Hull, when De Gea was injured. Louis van Gaal says Victor Valdes will be sold because he refused to play for Manchester United’s reserves last season. And it seems he will not play for United again. “It is a big disappointment, we thought that he would follow our philosophy,” Van Gaal said. “It is a pity because we have given him the opportunity to rehabilitate, gave him a contract and then he is fit to play. “If you do not play in the first team, our philosophy is to play in the second team and he did not do that.” Valdes did play three games for United’s second string, but it seems he told Van Gaal towards the end of the campaign that he would not be doing so again. United have started planning for life without the former Barcelona stopper, who has been linked with Valencia and Antalyaspor. They are interested in signing Argentinian free agent Sergio Romero. On this tour, Sam Johnstone and Anders Lindegaard will provide back up for De Gea, who has been heavily linked with a move to Real. The Spanish giants would like to sign the goalkeeper this summer, but they have so far refused to meet United’s asking price for the player and senior sources at the club feel the 24-year-old may start the season at Old Trafford. Van Gaal became irritated when asked about how De Gea had responded to being named in the 26-man party for the four-game tour of the US. “His attitude is fantastic and I have said that already,” Van Gaal said. “It is stupid to keep asking about his attitude.” United begin their tour with a friendly in the International Champions Cup against Mexican side Club America in the early hours of Saturday morning in Seattle. Angel di Maria and Javier Hernandez have been left out of the 26-man party due to their international commitments earlier this summer, but Van Gaal revealed the duo will join up with the squad in San Jose a week on Saturday ahead of the final game of the tour against Paris St Germain. Di Maria has been linked with a move to the French club, and Van Gaal did little to play down reports that the £59.7million midfielder wants to leave. “We shall see,” he said when asked whether Di Maria would stay. “In football, it is a process. It’s a process for Di Maria and Man Utd. We shall see. “But he is still a member of United and he said he will come out on July 25.” Hernandez, who is recovering from a shoulder injury sustained on international duty, spent last season on loan at Real Madrid, but will be return to fight for a first-team place this year, it seems. Explaining his decision to loan Hernandez to Madrid last year, Van Gaal said: “I made the decision to let (Danny) Welbeck and Chicharito (Hernandez) go. At the end of August, we also bought (Radamel) Falcao. “When you play a system with two strikers, you have to let players go, but Chicharito is coming back.” Van Gaal handed Valdes a lifeline in January when he gave him an 18-month deal following a serious knee injury. The 33-year-old had been tipped to replace David de Gea if he left for Real Madrid, but Van Gaal has revealed the three-time Champions League will now be sold. Press Associationlast_img read more

first_img Related Stories Boeheim responds to Yahoo! Sports article criticizing USA Basketball coachesBoeheim reflects on Team USA’s gold medal in 2014 FIBA World Cup Facebook Twitter Google+ After spending a month with USA Basketball overseas, Jim Boeheim is two weeks away from starting practice with his Syracuse basketball program.It’s hard to believe, he said.“I’m glad to be back. Our players have worked hard individually at this point to get themselves ready,” Boeheim said at a press conference at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center on Wednesday afternoon. “We lost four great players, our three best players probably, and one of the best backup centers we’ve ever had here from last year’s team.“There’s a lot of work to be done.”In between discussions during the press conference about his USA Basketball experience and the negative Yahoo! Sports article published on Monday, Boeheim spoke about junior center DaJuan Coleman’s recovery process and the other challenges the Orange could face in the upcoming season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textColeman is rehabbing from surgery on his left knee after suffering a season-ending bone bruise last year. He also missed eight games his freshman year with an MCL injury to the same knee.“Obviously we know his surgery was more difficult than any surgery that we’ve had, without getting into any things I can’t talk about,” Boeheim said. “We’ve said from the beginning that he was going to take a long rehab. He’s done all that.“We hope that in October, he’ll be active. He’ll be doing stuff, we don’t know what until we get there. Even when he does stuff, we don’t know how much he will be able to do and how long he’ll be able to do it.”Boeheim said SU won’t have a “definitive positive answer” on Coleman’s status for the year until December.In his absence, Rakeem Christmas will maintain his spot in the middle of the 2-3 zone. Boeheim said it’ll be good to have someone with his experience playing the middle — a far cry from the comments Boeheim has made in the past about Christmas’ game.Baye Moussa Keita and C.J. Fair have graduated and Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant are gone as well.Freshmen Kaleb Joseph and Chris McCullough, Boeheim said, have to get “up to speed” and both the sophomores and juniors will take on bigger, more responsible roles.Just like last year — after the departures of Brandon Triche, Michael Carter-Williams and James Southerland — it’ll be a new-look Syracuse team to start the 2014-15 season.“It’s a very similar situation,” Boeheim said. “… It’s something that nobody knows the answer to. Last year we never expected to win 25 straight games. Never in our wildest imaginations would we have thought that was going to happen.“We like our players. We think we have the talented players but when you lose your three best players two years in a row, that’s a lot of guys to lose. So there’s a lot of questions to be figured out this year.” Commentscenter_img Published on September 17, 2014 at 6:02 pm Contact Phil: pmdabbra@syr.edu | @PhilDAbblast_img read more